In this episode featuring Bitcoin developer Jimmy Song, you’ll learn:
- What an atomic swap is, how it affects the future of Bitcoin, and why it is useful
- How an atomic swap works, with a real-world example
- Why trusted third parties are security holes, and how atomic swaps remove the need for them
- Pros and cons of on-chain atomic swaps compared to off-chain swaps such as the Lightning Network
- What some of the cryptocurrencies that support atomic swaps are, including Decred (DCR) and Litecoin (LTC) which made headlines after recently completing an atomic swap
About The Author
Jimmy Song is a Bitcoin Core Contributor, former VP of Engineering at Armory (a secure, open-source wallet with cold storage and multi-sig support), and writer for both Bitcoin Tech Talk and CoinDesk. He’s been involved in Bitcoin since 2011, coding in Bitcoin since 2013 and teaching Bitcoin since 2014. Song, who has been teaching blockchain to engineers for over 3 years, is an instructor at Programming Blockchain. Jimmy graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelors of Science in Mathematics.